Our second day in New Zealand was spent wandering around Auckland Zoo. This zoo is absolutely amazing, and can’t recommend it highly enough if you have a free day around Auckland. Just make sure you give yourself enough time to get around as it will take at least 3 or 4 hours to see all of the exhibits. That said, 3-4 hours is probably a minimum as you really need a full day to be able to see everything at a relaxed pace.
Favourites would have to be the meerkats (of course), and also the diverse range of animals – from native New Zealand animals through to Australian and African areas of the zoo. A very well laid out zoo.
Some things I learnt during our time at Auckland Zoo:
- The zoo is much larger than expected – give yourself a full day to walk around it
- Elephants love honey as a treat
- What we did: A full day spent wandering around the zoo and photographing all the animals
- Favourite part: Watching the meerkats getting fed
- Best Experience: Too many! It was great fun wandering around through all the different areas of the zoo
- Worst Experience: Nothing bad really from this particular destination other than sore feet!
- Must See Attraction: The african animal section. Well laid out and the raised platforms provide great views of the giraffe and zebra
- Next stop: Coromandel Peninsula!