Waimangu Thermal Park was our afternoon stop after Zorbing and riding the gondola before heading onto Taupo. Unfortunately we only gave ourselves a few hours at the park which made the last section a bit rushed as we had to get to the final bus stop by 4:30pm.
Interestingly Waimangu is the only hydrothermal system in the world where the start of surface activity can be pinned down to an exact date – 10 June 1886. On that day there was a violent volcanic eruption which resulted in the craters and activity on the surface we could see today.
Some things I learnt during our time at Waimangu Thermal Park:
- It gets really hot towards the bottom of the park near the thermal activity
- Not everywhere in Rotorua smells like rotten eggs!
- What we did: Several hours spent running around Waimangu Thermal Park before heading onto Taupo
- Favourite part: The incredible views everywhere in the park
- Best Experience: Wandering around by ourselves (there wasn’t many other people around), feeling the heat from all of the thermal activity
- Worst Experience: Running to try to catch the final bus
- Must See Attraction: The beautiful views at the start of the thermal park
- Next stop: Taupo!