We were fortunate enough to visit Florence briefly on our tour, and then go back to the city for approximately 4 days after the end of the tour. Florence would have to be my favourite Italian city we visited during our holiday, and I had great fun wandering through the backstreets discovering little cafes and even a motorcar rally.
We visited museums and historic sites, saw the David, wandered through the squares, found a Lindt cafe (yum!) wandered out to Pitti Palace and enjoyed the view from Michaelangelo’s Plaza among other activities. We managed to fit a lot into our time in Florence, and even included a day trip out to Cinque Terre during our time after the tour – and have to say Florence is certainly one spot in Italy I would visit again in a heartbeat!
Some things I learnt during our time in Florence:
- The leather work in Florence is rather beautiful
- Wandering back streets is rather, but it does pay to look at your map every so often
- Stairs, stairs and more stairs can make for a good work out
- What we did: Approximately 5 days spent based in Florence either wandering around Florence, or heading out on day trips
- Favourite part: All of it! Loved Florence
- Best Experience: Hmm, this one is a hard one to pick.
- Worst Experience: Even getting rained on wasn’t that bad! Can’t say there was a bad experience
- Must See Attraction: The Baptistery is worth a visit for the artwork on the ceiling, and the climb up the Belltower is great for a good view across the city
- Next stop: Onto San Gimignano!