We were able to visit Assisi as a part of our tour during the first few weeks of our trip. While we didn’t stay long, the highlight of Assisi would have to be the Basilica of San Francesco d’Assisi. The Basilica began being built in 1228, and is comprised of an upper and lower level as well as the crypt. While that’s all very interesting, it’s the architecture and differences in design between the upper and lower churches, as well as differences in the painting styles which I found interesting to see. It’s a good thing the order ran out of money and couldn’t repaint the lower church in a more modern style, as the frescoes are beautiful.
Some things I learnt during our time in Assisi:
- Having religious paintings on the wall at the foot of your bed in the hotel can lead to strange dreams
- Churches built on top of pre existing churches can make a rather interesting extra large Basilica
- What we did: 1 and a bit days in Assisi
- Favourite part: Wandering through the many levels and churches that make up the Basilica of San Francesco d’Assisi
- Best Experience: Learning about the art and painting styles within the Basilica of San Francesco d’Assisi
- Worst Experience: Not having enough time to run to the square, and also eat gelato – such a shame 🙁
- Must See Attraction: The Basilica of San Francesco d’Assisi of course!
- Next stop: Onto Sorrento and the Amalfi Coast!